Unsolved: The Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders (1977)

Reading Time: 5 minutes

This next case is about the Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders, this is case involves children being brutally murdered, the case remains unsolved from 1977.


The Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders is an unsolved murder case that occurred on the morning of June 13, 1977 at Camp Scott in Mayes County, Oklahoma. 3 victims were girl scouts between the ages 8-10, they were raped and murdered, and their bodies had been left on a trail leading to the showers about 150 yards from their tent at summer camp. The case was classified as solved but when a local Jail escapee with a history of violence was arrested, he was acquitted when he stood trial for the crime.

What was weird and mentioned most of the articles that I read was less than 2 months before the murders happened, while on a on-site training session, a camp counselor had her belongings ransacked and the doughnuts she brought had been stolen. Not only were the doughnuts stolen, inside the empty doughnut container was disturbing hand-written note stating “We are on a mission to kill 3 girls in tent one.” But no matter how disturbing the note was, the director treated the note as a prank and threw it out. If this is not a clue right in your face, I don’t know what is. If I had seen this, no summer camp would have been happening!

Around 7 pm the night before camp started, a thunderstorm hit the area, and the girls were confided to their tents. 3 girls were in Tent 8, Lori Lee Farmer, 8, Doris Denise Milner, 10, and Michele Heather Guse, 9. They were residents of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. There tent was farthest from the Camp Counselors Tent and obscured by the showers from the camp.

Around 6 AM on June 13, the camp counselor was on her way to the showers when she found a girls body in her sleeping bag in the forest. It was soon discovered that all 3 girls that were in tent 8 had been killed. A large red flashlight was found on top of the girls’ bodies, a fingerprint was found on the lens, but was never identified. A footprint for a 9.5 size shoe was found in blood in their tent also, and what was bizarre was that between 2:30 and 3 am a landowner heard a lot of traffic on a remote road near the camp.

During the autopsy it was revealed that Guse and Farmer were bludgeoned to death while Milner was strangled to death, all 3 had been raped.

Police and Investigators believed the girls had been murdered sometime between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM, Evidence also showed that Michele and Lori were murdered inside the tent while Denise was dragged out and killed in the woods.

Now why would you kill 2 and drag out one and then drag all 3 off the bodies to other parts of the camp? Is this to make a statement based on the note left 2 months before? Was this to rub it in the camp counselors face that they should have listened to the note?

Also investigators also found with the red flashlight, duct tape, nylon rope and a crow bar. But police soon learned that tent 8 was not the only tent that the killer entered the at night. Glasses had been stolen from several other tents and placed throughout the entire camp.

Just days after the murder, the police had a suspect in the case, it was Gene Leroy Hart, a 33 Cherokee man who grew up one mile away from the camp. Hart was a convicted rapist and burglary who had escaped from a Oklahoma prison just 4 years before the Girl Scout Murders.

Hart was convicted for raping 2 pregnant woman and had during the assault, nylon rope and duct tape that was used during the assault to subdue his victims during the attacked 4 years before.

One of the surviving victims recalled that during the attacked Hart was making strange noises, similar to what the Camp counselor had heard the night of the murders.

3 miles away from the camp, police found a cave that had shown all signs of someone living it in for some time and contained several items, women’s underwear, a crumped picture of a unknown woman, glasses and newspaper clippings. Police were able to link the items found inside the cave to Hart.

Now how could they say it was Harts cave? What did they find that linked him to that cave? On all the articles that I read nothing was stated as to what brought police to the link that it was Hart’s cave, which is a little suspicious to me.

Hart was finally captured on April 6, 1978 wearing women’s glasses. He was charged with capital murder for the 3 girls, but members of the community raised over $10,000 who believed that Hart was innocent. Now why would they think that? What did they know that the police didn’t know? Prosecutors had semen and hair samples recovered from the girls tent. The test on the hair sample came back inconclusive and they didn’t have the ability to test the semen sample at the time of the trail. Now why couldn’t they test that?

On March 20, 1979, a jury fund Hart not guilty of killing the girl scouts. But, in 1989 with advancements in the DNA the semen sample was able to be retested and proved that 3 out of the 5 probes matched Harts DNA. This made it possible that Hart was the Girl Scout Murderer by 1 and 7,700 chance. But the semen sample as retested again in 2008 but the test results came back inconclusive. Why were they testing it again in 2008? What made them retest it?

By 2017, over $30,000 in donations had been raised to conduct new DNA testing on the semen sample that could finally prove who the real killer was or is. There has been no updates as of 2021 that I could find.



Girl Scout Murders – Forensic Tales

Oklahoma Girl Scout murders – Wikipedia

The oklahoma girl scout murders documentary Netflix crime scene photo | Mebere